Sunday 13 March 2011

My Current Skills

I have known what I want to get into for a while now as when I was 17-18 years old I got a chance to work at a 2D animation company as a inbetweener for a couple of months. Whilst I was there I was also able to see the 3D side of the industry and got chance to work on a little 3D piece. From then on I knew I wanted to get into modeling!

Here I will evaluate and discuss all my skills as overall set of skills or knowledge of the entire 3D pipeline is proven to be greatly beneficial within the virtual effects industry.


I am comfortable with range of skills within in the VFX industry, Modeling, Texturing, UV mapping, Lighting and at a basic level animation. I also know some post production programs such as Final Cut pro, All the Adobe suite to a high standard as I used to work as a Graphic designer. I have started to learn Nuke as the software is the best compositing software in the industry. In nuke I would be able to take my models and work and really refine the final image using my knowledge with render layers and passes.


Modeling is where I want to head into. I have been modeling to a confident level for over a year now. I want to mainly specialize in Character/Creature creation where I used use programs such as Maya to create base meshes and hard surface models, Zbrush to sculpt and texture my models, UV layout to uv my models and topogun/3Dcoat to retopologise my models if needed. I am confident and have a good knowledge of sculpting a high level of detail within zbrush. I completed Scott Eaton's Anatomy Course during the summer where I learnt the muscular system which gives me great advantage when working with riggers and sculpting muscles and bones on my models.


During this last year I have been able to improve on many things other than modeling/Sculpting. Rendering and lighting has been some of the thing I really had to improve on to get the better final image. I know now how to create all the render passes needed to take into Nuke or compositing stages as well as knowing how to light my scene with a number of different techniques.


My texturing is something I have been and plan to keep working on as it really brings out my models and show that my Uving doesn't stretch or have bad resolution on some areas. Also these is a key thing to know for the industry as you need to be able to work with texture artists to break down models so you don't model to much and make to hard on yourself.


Rigging is something I have basic knowledge on but over the summer I plan to rig my own characters so I know what topology works best when with certain models. This again is good for industry as again my anatomy knowledge is great for this as I will known where the rig joints placement would work best or more likely where they should be. In the industry this is general practice to be able to work with riggers so you can fix models to suite their needs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment